Sunday, February 5, 2012

I am thankful for: a quiet day in

Boring is underrated. Most of us have such busy lives that, for me at least, there comes a point where everything becomes too much, for the body, for the mind or for a combination of the two. This week-end I needed a rest, both physically and mentally. Physically to prepare for next week (I will be subbing for a teacher who is ill on top of taking on my own work) and I feel some kind of cold/flu thing coming on, and mentally to recover from the week that has just gone by.

So I slept a lot, dealt as gently as possible with a cranky toddler, made dinner, saw sports on tv and knitted. And now I'm going to bed early. Just what all kinds of doctors would order. 

I know some people don't have the luxury of these kinds of days, but many don't really make any allowance for them. We need to "do stuff", "be active", "see people" etc, or else we've wasted a day. I'm not sure why, but really, people, let's just all take a day off once in a while and see if we don't function a bit better, for example when the body is able to power itself on its own without four liters of coffee in the morning, or a nervous breakdown around the corner to keep us in check. If this is the kind of day that keeps me healty and sane, then I say bring on the lazy lay-in days, I promise to take full advantage of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment