Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I am thankful for: malabrigo yarn

Yes, I just had to say it. And this may seem rather shalow compared to some of my other posts, but today has been all about the malabrigo. I cast on during an information session at uni, and then knitted pretty much all evening, and it was pure joy. There are many reasons why I enjoy knitting, and the tactile aspect of playing with the yarn is one of them of course. I find, however, most yarns don't really provide an extra bit of sensuality, at least not when they are being knitted, but malabrigo does. 

I think that with a lot of yarns, you have to either play with them when they are in a skien or wait for them to be knitted up to really enjoy the fiber, but today I could feel softness and bliss run through my fingers as I was knitting. It's a one ply worsted, which means it's allowed to just expand in all its glory without being split and then twined onto itself, and maybe it's because of that extra freedom that it then generously offers us the pleasure of its texture. 

Whatever the reason, it's just marvelous. I like having a hobby that has so many facets (yarn, knitting, enjoying the final product, the knitting community etc...) and today it was the most basic and simple pleasure of touching the yarn that made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment